How can you treat your patient’s lateral elbow pain (lateral epicondylalgia (LE)/tennis elbow)? How and when should you progress your patient’s exercise program? Is pain during their exercise program ok?
In this episode, which is Part 2 of Lateral Elbow pain with Dr Leanne Bisset, we explore in detail how you can differentially diagnose LE from other causes of lateral elbow pain, and treat it successfully.
- Diagnosis and differential diagnosis of LE
- How to get the best outcomes for your patients when treating LE
- Do isometrics work?
- How can you commence strengthening?
- Should your patient experience any pain during their exercise program?
- When and how can you incorporate Mobilisation with Movement into your treatment program?
- How to perform MWM’s for LE
- How to progress your treatment
- Identifying and treating radial nerve involvement
- Incorporating strengthening for the upper limb
- High level athletes and weightlifters with lateral elbow pain - is this likely to be LE or another condition?
- Identifying nerve root irritation with pain over the lateral elbow
- Taping methods to deload the lateral elbow when there is nerve involvement
- Clinical reasoning of your treatment
- Predictors of poor treatment prognosis
- When to order imaging
- Evidence for and against other treatment strategies including the Cyriax approach, massage, laser, ESWT, corticosteroids and PRP
- Validated screening tools for LE, including the PRTEE
In this episode, Leanne answers a lot of your questions on LE, asked via Twitter and the Clinical Edge newsletter.
Dr Leanne Bisset is a Physiotherapist, Physiotherapy lecturer and researcher at Griffith University in Queensland, Australia who has extensively researched and published on lateral elbow pain, and spends a large proportion of her clinical time treating the upper limb and lateral elbow.
This is a two part podcast, followup up Lateral Elbow Pain Part 1, episode 44 of the Physio Edge podcast, David Pope and Dr Leanne Bisset.
Download your free handout "Treatment of Lateral Elbow Pain 2"
Download the podcast here
Subscribe free to the Physio Edge podcast in iTunes
Download the podcast from Stitcher
Download and listen to the podcast on Soundcloud
Download your free podcast handout
Links of Interest
Dr Leanne Bisset
Dr Leanne Bisset on ResearchGate
Dr Leanne Bisset on Twitter
Download the Patient-Rated Tennis Elbow Evaluation (PRTEE)
Download the free podcast handout
Lateral Elbow Pain Part 1 with Dr Leanne Bisset
Review the podcast in iTunes
Get your free trial of Clinical Edge online education